Security teams are the first line of defense in physical property surveillance. Over 800,000 are currently employed in the United States alone. Despite their value, security companies face a number of challenges. These include guard staffing issues, digital security threats, and lack of automation. On top of this, customers expect their security teams to anticipate issues and be proactive in their processes. So how do we approach these challenges? The answer is one you can count on, no matter the situation.
There is strength in numbers. Not necessarily in more security guards, but in real-time data. Implementing a security guard management software system is a streamlined way to cut costs and elevate security services. Security teams need a balance of guards, solid training processes, and technologies in place to bridge skill gaps and improve efficiencies. Luckily security workforce management software has evolved to help security guards do their jobs more efficiently than ever.
5 Ways to Enhance Security Workforce Management with Technology
Technology can help guards identify security issues quickly and dispatch the correct team members where they are needed. From monitoring overtime to scheduling time off, security teams of all sizes can harness the power of technology to improve services at the touch of a button.
Here are five key ways that technology helps boost security workforce management:
1. More eyes on the ground. As any security guard can tell you, 24-hour surveillance can be incredibly taxing and costly. Many properties have multiple entry and exit points that require constant monitoring. But security guard management software can turn five security guards into a team of twenty. A module that incorporates live feeds, dashboards, cameras, and timed tours creates a new world of security management in real-time.
2. Technology cuts administrative time and saves money. Burnout is a huge issue in the security services industry. As a result, security guard turnover rates hover between 100-300%. Staffing challenges mean security guards and managers are working double time to fill those gaps. Dealing with administrative tasks and overhead costs are more challenges in an already taxed industry. But technology can reduce that burden.
Synced calendars keep availability and requested time-off information at manager’s fingertips. Employees can even clock in and out on their mobile devices. Technology also helps reduce overtime costs by keeping track of hours and making sure security teams are managed properly.
3. Easily accommodate and monitor visitors and tours. Ideally most property tours would include a security guard. But sometimes this isn’t a possibility. GPS-verified guard tour management software makes it easy to monitor who is on the property and for how long. Security guards can monitor visitors from any area on the property. And smart technology, like facial recognition, encourages fast and accurate check-in. Even if a security guard can’t join a tour, property owners can feel comfortable knowing tours are supervised by guard tour management software.
4. Quickly create incident reports. Technology helps security teams analyze data in these reports to improve processes and procedures. Creating reports in real time also lessens the reporting burden on smaller security guard teams. Incident reports can also showcase patterns or recurring issues. Security teams can learn from these reports and improve their processes, ensuring tighter security even with a smaller team. All this data helps property owners feel more confident in the security company they are partnering with.
5. Develop a proactive approach. A security guard management platform not only offers automated monitoring and workforce management, but it also allows security teams to be proactive in the event of an emergency. Real-time incident reporting identifies high-risk areas and gets guards where they need to be quickly.
Security supervisors can also use technology to be proactive when managing their teams. By seeing and anticipating potential staffing gaps, managers plan accordingly, allowing them to prepare rather than react. Information is power. Utilizing security workforce management software easily doubles the power of your security teams.
There is no doubt security companies face their share of challenges. But security workforce management software helps them face these challenges and come out stronger. Security companies, and their clients, need a balance of guards on the ground and technology processes to be successful. Security guard management software systems, like those offered by CSA360 Software, can help elevate security teams, manage physical risks, and keep assets safe no matter the situation.